How to prepare fumet flawlessly?
The fumet is a cooking stock made by slowly boiling fish and vegetables. It’s what will give your black rice or paella a very delicious flavour. To me, it’s the essence that makes this dish so Mediterranean and it’s what’s going to make that your rice is full of taste. This is what you need and how to prepare fumet 🙂
- 2 or 3 garlics
- 1 or 2 carrots
- Olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1 leek
- One onion
- 1 sprig of parsley
- Prawn heads and shells
- Cuttlefish skin
- Add a dash of olive oil in the pot (it shouldn’t cover it all).
- Cut up the vegetables and fry them with the prawns and sepia bits.
- When it’s ready, add water until it covers all the ingredients, add salt and boil over medium-heat for 25 min.
- Important: in the meantime skim off the scum
- Turn off the stove and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the broth with a fine sieve
Ready to be used! Once it’s cooled down, you can even freeze it to have it prepared whenever you want to use it 🙂
Don’t be afraid about the process. It’s true that it may take some time but it’s nothing difficult to make. You just have to make sure that you are around and you can keep an eye on it.